Sunday, January 15, 2012

Cyclists

I wrote this post before Christmas. It seemed like the right time to bring it up with the Tour Down Under...

I saw a cyclist get hit by a car this morning on my drive in to work. It was on one of the major arterial roads into the city, and traffic had slowed as per usual. A car went to turn left into a driveway and did not see the 4 cyclists approaching. One slammed into the turning vehicle, seeming bouncing off onto the pavement. He picked himself up and checked his bike for damage. Two other cyclists stayed with him as the vehicle parked, but by then the traffic was moving and I didn't see any more.

I had a sick feeling in my stomach thinking about the incident, imagining it could have been so much worse. Yet I didn't feel as sick as when I saw a dog get hit and killed by a car almost a year ago. The fact that the cyclist picked himself up almost immediately eased my worry. But it got me thinking about cyclists in the city.

It is a controversial topic between motorists and cyclists. We see the advertising campaigns on TV and hear them on the radio about sharing the road. Sometimes it is easy; others it is not. These are just a few thoughts I have had - keep in mind I am a motorist.

- There was mention of a 1m gap rule when passing a cyclist. I don't see this as practical. If you were to leave 1m you would be crossing in the next lane, or into oncoming traffic, which is far more dangerous. When it is all clear, not a problem, but not when it is busy.

- Cyclists should not be allowed on roads with very limited visibility - like Greenhill Road, Norton Summit Road and Gorge Road - it is far too dangerous, as cars get stuck behind them with no ability to overtake because of lack of room, or they risk dangerous overtakes.

- They should get rid of the rule where cyclists are allowed to ride 2 abreast - everywhere. If they take up less room on the road they are less likely to be hit or cause frustration and road rage.

- Cyclists should be required to register their bikes to ride on public roads. Registration should also include a booklet or handout which states road rules for cyclists. It should be mandatory they know the road rules.

I'll leave it here before I offend someone...but what do you think about the subject?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy!
    This topic always interests me, as I spent a few months riding to work when I was in Adelaide.

    Granted it was a short (5km) commute, and was luck to have a bike path for most of the way, I always had to have my 'concentration' face on for the rest of it (top part of Anzac Highway and along Franklin/Flinders St).

    My first observation is that everyone who drives a car should also experience riding a bike in traffic. It’s an eye opener and would probably improve perspective from all sides of the wheel/handlebars.

    To address your points
    1m gap – it’s not practical for a driver. But it’s part of sharing. Sharing often means giving up something to allow for others to take part. In this instance, it’s giving up the privilege of having a lane to oneself, and changing lanes to get around the cyclist. It also relies on motorists around you being aware of their surroundings, and being ok with the fact that they might have to slow down a bit to allow your car in their lane, to protect the cyclists. A good driver will be perceptive and notice the cyclist up ahead, and be able to adjust their position on the road such that there is a gap they can move into, to allow the 1m gap.

    Limited visibility – absolutely agree with that one. While cyclists have the right to use the road, sometimes common sense must override ones entitlement. What does Paul say…all things are permissible but not all things are beneficial…
    2 abreast – I don’t have a problem with that, but your logic worries me. ‘If they take up less room on the road….’ The outcome of that is cars getting too close, trying to squeeze past, or not being fully aware of the dimensions of their vehicle. Often it’s actually safer to ‘take the lane’, and ride in the middle of the lane, to prevent this behaviour, for the cyclist’s own safety. Yes it delays motorists but for what…10 seconds? 1 minute? And what is that in the scheme of things when it comes to preserving someone’s life? In my case, I’m just someone who just wants a healthy and cheap alternative to getting to work and therefore I’m on a bike.

    Registration – there are so many issues with how this might be done cheaply and practically, it deserves another post. But I agree in spirit. Just as drivers should be held accountable for their wrongdoings, and must learn the road rules before they drive (regardless of how quickly they forget!), cyclists should also be held accountable and be aware of the road rules they must obey. Identification is another issue – unfortunately it’s a bit unfeasible to whack number plates on every bike on the road.

    Great post Amy, and good observations. I look forward to following you now :-)

    ReplyDelete