Thursday, December 8, 2011

Kris Kringle

I received an email regarding Kris Kringle for the "other" side of the family the other day - my new family. They have chosen to do Kris Kringle as well, which I think is a wonderful idea, especially in families where all of the children are grown up and money being passed around is a likelihood. My family has done this for the last 3 years, and it has been lovely. Once we had a theme, it had to be a $10 handmade gift - and people made the effort. My brother was given a $10 note cut into a puzzle, I made chocolates for my parents, my other brother was given fridge magnets with the image of my cousin who had made them. This year, I haven't gone with a theme - just a $10-15 present is sufficient. It's a good price where the gift can be meaningful or a gag gift.

The "other" side of the family, however, has decided to have a price limit of $40-50, and the giving isn't anonymous. A list has been sent around, and ideas are supposed to be added and sent back. From out of a hat, I have to give a gift to the organiser of this event, whose gift suggestions are vouchers for 3 different stores. I believe vouchers should not be given for Kris Kringle, it's the same as giving money.

In my opinion, having a Kris Kringle with such a high price range, and having a public list seems like it has all become materialistic and gift-focussed. My solution to this: TEAR's Useful Gift Catalogue. I will buy a gift for someone disadvantaged overseas (I'm thinking a goat, if that's still on offer) and he will (hopefully) see that Christmas isn't all about presents. Charities always need donations and assistance, and I think the gift catalogues they promote are a wonderful idea, as you get a card with an image of what you are buying and how it will assist the individual and their community.

Sorry this sounds like a rant, but I'm getting frustrated about Christmas being about presents, and who had the best haul. I'm leaving it here before I say something I regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment