Sunday, November 6, 2011

Letters

Yesterday I rediscovered the joy in letter writing. It felt good to sit down and compose a letter in my own handwriting to a couple of close friends. I know they will feel excited when they receive them, as I do when I receive mail that doesn't require a payment.

It made me think about how much we have lost the art of handwriting. My hand was quite sore after writing the letters, and I took a few breaks. I do a bit of hand writing at work, but definitely not a lot. Writing was an important learning step in our schooling, but now, with computers being taught from such a young age, are the next generation learning this skill?

2 comments:

  1. What kind of handwriting would you like them to do? I always wished I could write like my Oma's beautiful cursive script - but nobody can read anything but print anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, any type of handwriting. Schools (according to a mum at my work) are teaching 'linked' writing by printing then linking the letter together. Proper cursive takes practice, but its a skill to both write and read it; an important skill the next generation is missing out on.

    ReplyDelete