Sunday, August 12, 2012

Meatballs with tomato sauce

As a housewarming present, or a birthday present, one of my friends gave me the Masterchef Australia recipe book from season 2. After having just finished watching season 4 (the first one I've gotten into) and now All Stars I have tried a recipe from this book. It looked the easiest, and something I couldn't mess up.

Ingredients:
Herb & Tomato Sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp salt
1 large carrot, diced
6 thyme sprigs [I didn't have any fresh herbs, so I just added 1 tsp of dried herbs here]
2 tbs tomato paste
2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
1 tsp dried Italian herbs
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tbs sugar [the first time I did this recipe I used 1 tsp, second time omitted as the tomato paste has sugar already added]
1 cup fresh basil leaves [again, I didn't have any fresh herbs, but this would make it extra amazing]

Meatballs
700g beef mince [I used combination beef + pork]
1 tsp salt
1 tsp finely chopped rosemary [I used dried rosemary]
1 tsp dried Italian herbs
1/2 tsp chicken stock powder
1 egg
1/4 cup packaged breadcrumbs
1 tbp tomato paste
1 tsp mild paprika
2 tbs tomato ketchup [I assumed ketchup = sauce]
1 tsp thyme leaves [again, I used dried]

1. To make the sauce, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and salt, and cook for 5 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add the carrot and thyme sprigs and cook for a further 2 minutes or until soft. Stir in the remaining ingredients, except the basil. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and simmer gently for 45 minutes or until thickened.
2. Meanwhile, to make the meatballs, combine all ingredients and season with ground black pepper. Use your hands to mix well. [Yes, this is important - get your hands dirty!] Roll into balls, using 2 tbs mixture for each. 
3. Add meatballs to simmering sauce without stirring, increase heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes or until cooked through. Gently stir in basil leaves and top with parmesan. Serve with pasta or bread. [or both: spaghetti & garlic bread - delicious!]

No comments:

Post a Comment