Thursday, May 28, 2009

Ramblings

I have a lot of random thoughts. I generally get them while listening to something that grabs my attention and pulls it in another direction. (If that made sense I think we have issues...) But I was listening to a news report about war in Afghanistan and, as only my mind would, wondered, 'would I be able to kill someone?'

What is your first, knee jerk response? Yes? In self defence? That was my first thought too. But then I thought about it more...

OK, I have quite a vivid, perhaps twisted imagination when it comes to my writing, and I have put my main character into a self-defence position on multiple occasions. Yes, she's killed, and (one of my characters) then went on to become a serial killer, trying her very best to protect the identity she has changed so many times she cannot remember. But I don't think I could do it. The emotion that my character expresses and the pure hatred that she feels is something completely foreign to me. I have never felt that afraid or hated someone so much I wanted them dead.

But then I begin to wonder...how can I write these things if I have never felt them? But that is a whole other story.

No comments:

Post a Comment