Monday, April 19, 2010

I am not a genius, I am simply Gen Y

This tagline popped into my head today at work while I was helping another co-worker with what I found a very simple task. She wanted to know how to copy files from one USB drive onto another. Anyone between the ages of 7-30 (I'm being picky here) would know exactly how to do this, but I explained it to her slowly and showed her as I was doing it about 3-4 times.

This co-worker of mine is old enough to be my grandma (if children were had at age 20) and yet she has become quite proficient at using our computer system in the 9-10 months she has been working with us. Yet, my grandparents seem to struggle. I guess because they don't use it everyday as part of their lives it's a bit different.

But then it made me think, what will my grandchildren be teaching me about technology? As I age will I lose touch with the latest improvements and fall behind? Or will our generation keep up?

This is just a quick post because I liked the title and I couldn't let it go to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment