Sunday, April 11, 2010

What happens at parties

I went to a housewarming party last night for a couple friends of mine and there were a few things that arose that - for lack of a better word - concerned me.

I met a couple friends who went to school with the hostess, Caitlen and Daria. Daria was a quiet girl, a little shy and thrown into an unfamiliar situation. She reminded me of me. In order to get her to 'open up' her friend Caitlen, encouraged by several around her, decided to get her drunk. And so after the equivelant of 5 shots in 5-10 minutes (after a glass of wine previously) that's where she drew the line.

One of the culprits in the encouraging department was my lovely boyfriend Jessse. He decided to go 1 for 1 with her in the shots (skittle bombs, actually quite nice). As he was originally designated driver he handed the keys to Collie and started pouring.

After about 10 minutes you could tell Daria's head was clearly spinning. And her friend Caitlen decided it was time to experience her first drunken kiss. I feel sorry that it was actually her first kiss.

About 10 minutes after this I decided Daria had had enough and took her inside, sat her down and got her some water. Caitlen had disappeared at this point but I felt partly responsible as it was my boyfriend doing to the encouraging, and there wasn't a lot I could do to stop him. Anyway, shortly after that she felt very sick and I took her to the bathroom. Caitlen took over after that.

What really got me about this night, as she was not the only person in this situation. I was slightly disturbed with the behaviour of a couple other party-goers, and so I may have left a little early (though, admitadly I was quite tired in the end). But I believe Caitlen's behaviour was unacceptable as a friend - she is supposed to be there and look after her friend, not get them drunk and encourage them to hook up with some random guy. I feel this way because I am a 'Daria', the 'goody-two-shoes' back in high school - probably still now! And now Daria has gone home, feeling sick, and most likely regretting the whole night.

The most frustrating thing was that Jesse has hauled me up on the issue of drinking and he goes and does the same thing. He didn't hang around with some people at this party in high school becuase of the piss-ups, he didn't want to be a part of that.


Sorry for all the blog posts close together, just had thoughts that I felt should be shared. Now I am going to forget all the frustration and start getting ready for my cousin's wedding. I hope the weather will hold out and it will be a perfect day for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment